Tuesday 12 June 2012

Intervention

While working on-site creating this sculpture (which I have titled Intervention), I had at least two hundred passers-by stop and ask me what I was doing.

99% of the comments and feedback they gave me were very positive and people liked the concept behind the work. I did get one person who wasn't impressed with what I was up to but after a few minutes of lively discussion, even this person walked away having reconsidered.

Before I had started work on this piece I knew it had to be very different from the blandly typical sculptures that are usually made from trees. The fact that my tree had started to rot forced me even further along the trajectory of something new and different and I am delighted with how things evolved

However, I never expected that what I ended up with would capture the imagination of so many people. Many of those I spoke to in the course of making this work asked if I would be making more sculptures of this kind. This is not only a very hopeful sign of future possibilities for my work but is also quite gratifying in the sense that such genuine public interest makes me feel that I have really done my job as an artist.

No comments:

Post a Comment

After writing your comment please select NAME/URL from list and type in your name (or website address). You can also comment anonymously but if you have a google account and are signed in, your ID will be listed automatically. Thank you!

After The Fire

ANNIVERSARY FIRES CREATIVITY AT THE MALL WALTHAMSTOW NEW SCULPTURE LIGHTS UP THE MALL WALTHAMSTOW REMEMBRANCE THROUGH CREATIVIT...